Tuesday, February 25, 2014

First Post - Welcome!

Welcome to my Mordheim journey! This blog is an online diary, tracking my progress with the Mordheim hobby. After accumulating a roughly 800 point Ultramarine army, and thoroughly enjoying the painting process, I embarked on painting an Orc warband as a way to step up the quality of my painting and to quickly get playing campaigns with my friends. As there are fewer models and lots of variety between them, it was the cheapest way to try out new painting techniques. It's a huge step up from my Ultramarines. For the first time I properly investigated the Games Workshop painting system, employing Basecoats, Washes, Layering and the new Technical paints. I'm happy with the results, but after only just now purchasing the How To Paint Citadel Miniatures book, I'm eager to refine what I've started working with. So perhaps this blog will soon extend beyond Mordheim. The Orc and Goblin army featured in How To Paint... looks amazing, and is plenty of inspiration to invest in a full Warhammer army.

The main lesson I've learnt from this process is: No matter how dear it is to invest properly in tools, paints, and knowledge, if you're going to do it, it's worth doing properly. Talking to shop assistants and watching youtube videos is no substitute for splurging on How To Paint..., and limiting my colour palette in an effort to save money on paints just meant that I compromised on the final look of the models. It can no doubt be an expensive hobby, but I've found that there's not much skimping that I can get away with.

Here are some pics of my Orc Boss. Shaman and Troll pics to come! Also on the cards, now that I've finished the warband, is some scenery...


ORC BOSS








No comments:

Post a Comment